Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2019 has a CVT fluid dipstick or how do you check the fluid levels. I have a owner's manual up and I see a transmission fluid dipstick on the V6 only. How do you change the CVT fluid? I mean do I really need to take it to a mechanic? The manual says Mitsubishi dealer but I think by law they have to let others service it. Sorry this isn't as clear to me as it probably should be.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Easy enough to change the oil.

Get vehicle up to normal operating temperature.

On flat surface loosen sump plug (19mm)

Wait until drips stop. Refit sump plug.

Add approx 3.5 litres J4 auto trans fluid to gearbox through dipstick hole ( long thin funnel needed)

go for a 5 minute drive to ensure oil mixes.

Start at the beginning and redrain.

This will ensure most of the old oil is flushed through. if after the second drain it does not look BLUE like the new oil, then repeat process until it does. If the oil is not that dirty, then twice is normally enough. But if it hasnt been changes for a while then more will be needed.

You WILL need a new sump plug washer as well, but dont bother changing it until you are sure the oil is clean enough that you wont have to do it again.

When it is clean enough, on the last fill only put 3 litres in. Run engine, go through the gears (P R N D N R P) a few times then check level It will be near the C (for cold) mark. If not add some more, then go for a drive to warm it up again. Check level again, need to be on the H this time. Inbetween adding and checking, go through the gears each time, and let it sit for a minute before checking to let the oil run out of the dipstick tube and level out.

It is VERY IMPORTANT you use the correct oil. DIAQUEEN J4 is expensive, but other oils are not compatible. Some brands do CLAIM to be compatible , but they are not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy enough to change the oil.

Get vehicle up to normal operating temperature.

On flat surface loosen sump plug (19mm)

Wait until drips stop. Refit sump plug.

Add approx 3.5 litres J4 auto trans fluid to gearbox through dipstick hole ( long thin funnel needed)

go for a 5 minute drive to ensure oil mixes.

Start at the beginning and redrain.

This will ensure most of the old oil is flushed through. if after the second drain it does not look BLUE like the new oil, then repeat process until it does. If the oil is not that dirty, then twice is normally enough. But if it hasnt been changes for a while then more will be needed.

You WILL need a new sump plug washer as well, but dont bother changing it until you are sure the oil is clean enough that you wont have to do it again.

When it is clean enough, on the last fill only put 3 litres in. Run engine, go through the gears (P R N D N R P) a few times then check level It will be near the C (for cold) mark. If not add some more, then go for a drive to warm it up again. Check level again, need to be on the H this time. Inbetween adding and checking, go through the gears each time, and let it sit for a minute before checking to let the oil run out of the dipstick tube and level out.

It is VERY IMPORTANT you use the correct oil. DIAQUEEN J4 is expensive, but other oils are not compatible. Some brands do CLAIM to be compatible , but they are not.
Thank you! In general do you feel most of the maintenance is fairly easy to perform on a 2019 Outlander 4 Cylinder? I'm looking at what vehicles I could easily do the maintenance on. An example being the 2018 Mazda CX-5 and 6 require you to take stuff out to get to the transmission fluid. It may not be that hard but why deal with it, I drive low miles every year so I am trying to balance reliability, affordably, and simplicity.. 2017 Honda Accord lacks transmission dipstick but has a check plug for overflow. Seems easy enough. These are my top two picks.

I wish Mitsubishi had a larger community but other than that it seems like a lot of value.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have over thirty years experiance working on cars, so my version of easy to maintain is different to a novices.

But they are good cars, although they do need good maintanance using correct oils especially

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.