Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner

2023 PHEV level 1 charge times

39K views 126 replies 42 participants last post by  DPV 
#1 ·
New owner of a 2023 PHEV here. Had it about a week. The car seems to take 19 hours to charge from empty on a 110v 15amp circuit using the oem level 1 evse. I've tried different outlets, different houses, different lengths of wiring from the breaker, different ages of wiring from recent (last 2 years) to older, nothing else plugged into any of the outlets, and the draw is the same in all instances: 1.1kWh or 10 amps.

I get the same result when using a different oem level 1 evse so I believe it's the vehicle that is drawing at this level.

Wondering what others are experiencing from a regular 15amp household outlet?

#11 ·
New owner of a 2023 PHEV here. Had it about a week. The car seems to take 19 hours to charge from empty on a 110v 15amp circuit using the oem level 1 evse. I've tried different outlets, different houses, different lengths of wiring from the breaker, different ages of wiring from recent (last 2 years) to older, nothing else plugged into any of the outlets, and the draw is the same in all instances: 1.1kWh or 10 amps.

I get the same result when using a different oem level 1 evse so I believe it's the vehicle that is drawing at this level.

Wondering what others are experiencing from a regular 15amp household outlet?
[UOTE]
Temperature does make a difference. In my garage 0-5 F takes about 15 hrs to go from 0 to 38 mi range at 30-32 F takes about 12 hrs on the factory 110.

#25 ·
My laundry room with 240v dryer is just beside garage enterance.
I will buy from us amazon ( because is much cheaper than canadian ) "SplitVolt splitter switch ". Install that and with extension cord get power to the new level 2 charger.
In my case it will cost far less than electrcian but still safe to not overheating.
Anybody have better but safe idea ?

#26 ·
ok i have questions . the onboard charger maxes at 16 amp . so to go to 16 from 12 is really not a big enough improvement for me to spend much money on . however i could switch out a circuit fairly cheaply from 120 v 15 a to 120 v 20 a .

question ; will the eves accept and handle this ? will the onboard charger do 16 a with the 120 ?

#27 · (Edited)
ok i have questions . the onboard charger maxes at 16 amp . so to go to 16 from 12 is really not a big enough improvement for me to spend much money on . however i could switch out a circuit fairly cheaply from 120 v 15 a to 120 v 20 a .

question ; will the eves accept and handle this ? will the onboard charger do 16 a with the 120 ?
How I understand that it will improve from 12amp to 16amp with level 2 and from 110v to 240v, this is all going to increase charging speed from 1.2 kwh or 1.3 kwh to 3.0 kwh or 3.3 kwh whatever is allowed speed by Outlander.
I think if you run 15 amp with level 1 charger on 15 amp fuse breaker, your breaker will pop up often because it allowed to run 80% of fuse capacity which is 12 amp. If your fuse is 20 amp you should be fine.

#29 ·
Retired engineer by education. Got 55 mile range with 39 hour charge time in Maine in February. Believe range can be increased with a 240 V, variable amp (10-16-24 amp) charger from Primecom. Charge time will be 2.5 hr +/- in summer and 5 hr in winter. The problem seems to be with the increased charging time in winter with an underpowered charger. Many are upgrading to 240V chargers like the dealers do with higher amp ratings. It will cost me an estimated $2,000 to do this. If you don't do this, you will have a good car that gives you better gas milage and less gas use but not the best range and fuel savings you can get. I was able to drive around town and get about 90% EV driving this way as a retired person not driving much. It would be ideal for a house wife too. But I want to get 55 miles range for my wife who is commuting to work in a hospital in a Honda Clarity PHEV. We are going to have to change our driving to tackle this climate problem and the Outlander is the best option I have come across so far. Great car in general. Smooth transition from electric to gas. We just have to solve this charging problem.

#33 · (Edited)
I received yesterday level 2 charger / 25 ft extension NEMA cord 14-30 / adapter 14-30 to 14-50 purchased on Canadian Amazon

I plugged it yesterday in laundry room outlet for test purpose before another 10ft extension cord and automatic power switch arrives from US Amazon next week.

What I can say it did work nicely.

For example car was plugged with original Mitsubishi level 1 charger and was showing 15 hours and 30 minutes on car display before fully charged, than I unplugged level 1 and plugged new level 2 ( switched on 16 amp ) connected with ext.cord and adapter. Charger display was showing 3.5 KWH charging speed and car display showed 6 hrs until fully charged.

I was very happy I because I made this decision to do it.

Still waiting to receive automatic switch and another ext.cord to do final setting.

It will cost me about $1,000 CAD all installed.

I will update you with pictures when all installed and how it works.

Attachments

#67 ·
I just got mine (2023 Outlander PHEV) and I do have NEMA 14-30 in my garage. I thought for level 2, I need 40A circuit in order to use 240V 32A charger. I mean it will constantly trip 30A breaker, but does not sound like it will trip, instead it reduce the amperage if suppy is limited or shared with other stuff. It is true that car tells me it will take 22 hours but in reality only 14 or 15 hours. It seems slow down at end too.

#34 · (Edited)
Completed last night all about level 2 charger and works well.

Charging at 3.5KWh speed on16 amp setup, needs just under 6 hours from 0-100%.

Checked few times no overheating , all connection stay cool.

What else to say than I am happy with that improvement in charging and with a car too so far with 1.2L/100km in winter time 7 days since odometer reset and driven in temperatures 2 C to -15 C.

Attachments

#38 ·
When turned dryer on charging stopped and as soon dryer stopped charging restarted in few second.
Dryer outlet is in priority and automatically switched to dryer when turned on.
It works the same as SplitVolt switch just about $200 CAD cheaper when ordered from USA Amazon

#41 ·
I'm curious if I could use my Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter and plug it into my 2023 Outlander PHEV. Based on the thread above, it would that this should work and only 16amps at 3.7Kw/hr will be drawn off the Tesla-F1772 plug. Does this sound correct to everyone?

#44 ·
Thank you! I'll let you know what I find out...I ordered an adapter and if it works, I'll post the model# and source.. BTW, right now my wife is getting 53eMPG in our new 2023 Outlander PHEV for use over the past 2 weeks after leaving the dealer... and it's winter so I would expect this to go up a little in warmer weather...

#43 · (Edited)
The "Morec 16A" dual-voltage EVSE was linked earlier in the thread and it reminded me something I wanted to ask: the EVSE that Mitsubishi includes with 2022/2023 Outlander PHEV, has anyone tried it on 240V? DON'T TRY THIS with yours!! But, just wondering if anyone knows either way?

Reason I ask is because the 12A EVSE that came with my Bolt is labeled (for US market) "120V only", but is actually designed (for international markets, presumably) to accept both voltages. Which is super handy because with a very simple plug adapter (and a 240V outlet), you DOUBLE your charging speed (from 1.4kW to 2.8kW). I use it like that sometimes (on road trips usually) and it works perfectly, no over-heating, etc.

[/QUOTE]

i missed all the discussion earlier, but it sounds like there was some confusion about EVSEs. But basically the car will only use what it can (up to 3.3kW for the Outlander?), so you can't "hurt" the car with a bigger charger (7.8kW or 10kW or whatever your EVSE is rated for). For smaller EVSEs, like 12A or 16A models, the biggest problem is with your home wiring - 12A is pushing it for a regular 15A circuit (same for 16A on 20A circuit), esp in older homes, wires might get a little warm over a 12hr period of constant draw, wire insulators will break down quicker, etc. Using a 240V outlet (with proper wire guage, on 30-50A breaker) is much safer and doubles your charge speed.

That makes sense. With that power, the charger is drawing its max rate of 3kWh. I'm still not sure why mine is only drawing 1.1kW or 10amps when it could be drawing
Did you ever figure this out? Maybe a setting you can change in the car? I know my other car (BEV) lets you choose 8A or 12A when using L1 charger. It defaults to 8A to minimize stress on house wiring, so you have to force it to use 12A (if you know the house's wiring is good for it). Maybe Outlander defaults to 10A, and you have to tell it 12A is okay...?

#46 ·
Did you ever figure this out? Maybe a setting you can change in the car? I know my other car (BEV) lets you choose 8A or 12A when using L1 charger. It defaults to 8A to minimize stress on house wiring, so you have to force it to use 12A (if you know the house's wiring is good for it). Maybe Outlander defaults to 10A, and you have to tell it 12A is okay...?
I haven't, although the dealer says it's because its winter and when its warmer more energy should go into the drive battery reducing the charge time. There is no setting in the car, it figure out the draw all on its own. The oem EVSE also does not have a variable amp setting.

#47 ·
My charging speed at home with level 2 charger 240 v at 16 amp is 3.5 kw per hour to about 80 % than it slow down . This is probable battery protection set by Mitsubishi.
I did try level 3 charger in Collingwood, ON last week and I think there is no point to use it because they charge $20 canadian per hour at 50 kwh charging station or $15 per hour at 25kwh station. Also charging was interrupted 3 times. I was seating in the car because it was testing and restarted charging. Level 3 charger also slowing down after 70 % reached.

Attachments

#49 ·
Nice, thanks for being a guinea pig, haha. If you're satisfied with it (doesn't burn your house down), I might pick one up too, for road trip contingencies in my Bolt. Many hotels and B&Bs are adding Tesla "destination chargers" lately, which I think are just L2 chargers with their stupid proprietary (NA-only) plug.

#56 ·
Something to consider with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is using the old Chevy Volt solution. I upgraded from a 2016 Volt (and had an extra EVSE cable which I kept after I sold) and used this solution with my Volt which works to get me 8-9 hours from empty on the 2023 Outlander PHEV. Not sure of the pricing or availability but could be more affordable if you can find the EVSE cable from the volt and the adapter.

See Volt solution below: