Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2022 Outlander PHEV seems to want to stay in Gasoline Engine mode whenever I perform a single hard acceleration, as needed when entering a highway. Even in EV mode and B3 setting the car will often stay in Gasoline power mode even after I stop for a traffic light. Since I bought the car to minimize my gasoline useage, I wonder if there is any way to over-ride the gasoline engine and get it back into EV mode quickly after the need for auxiliary Gasoline power is over? Seems to me the engineers (both mechanical and software) have butchered this. Driving in EV mode should force the car to behave this way, but it clearly isn't. Is there something else I can do to get it back into EV mode quicker. I have even tried opening a door when I am stopped at a traffic light, and that seems to work sometimes, but not always. Any thoughts here folks?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When EV mode is selected via the large button the car will stay in EV mode until battery level is at the perceived minimum. But if you accelerate hard the engine will kick in to give you maximum acclleration. Maybe this is what is happening for you?

Dont accelerate so hard if you dont have to. If you ask for maximum throttle of course the car will give you the maximum it can. You might need it to get out of an emergency situation..

If you drive the car like an ICE that is what you will get. Drive it as an EV, trying to reserve your energy in the battery will give you different results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When EV mode is selected via the large button the car will stay in EV mode until battery level is at the perceived minimum. But if you accelerate hard the engine will kick in to give you maximum acclleration. Maybe this is what is happening for you?

Dont accelerate so hard if you dont have to. If you ask for maximum throttle of course the car will give you the maximum it can. You might need it to get out of an emergency situation..

If you drive the car like an ICE that is what you will get. Drive it as an EV, trying to reserve your energy in the battery will give you different results.
Yes, the car only goes into gasoline drive after a hard acceleration. Unfortunately our roads here in the Denver CO area are a mix of city streets and state highways, with an occasional interstate highway thrown in for added fun. Interstate speed limit is 75, with many cars doing over 80. Even the state highways have a 55 limit with plenty of cars running 70+. Thus, when you attempt to enter one of these speedways you are going to have to accelerate hard enough to throw the car into gasoline drive. My question is how to get the car to shut down the gasoline drive after it is done with its hard acceleration. I have found the only predictable way is to shut the engine down and restart it. That is bizzare, but I have had the engine stay in gasoline drive for 5-7 miles of highway driving including red lights where I have come to a complete stop, and the car refuses to go back to electric drive. So my question is not why the gasoline power, I am fine with the extra kick the gas engine provides when required. My question is how to get the car to shut down the electric engine when it is no longer needed and the electric drive is all that is really required. This is also occurring just after we filed the gas tank with 5-7 gallons of gasoline, so this is not needed to insure we burn 4 gallons every 3 months. It seems to be a glitch in the software, and is VERY annoying on a brand new PHEV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So when you are moving along just hit the EV mode button, and it will go back to EV mode straight away.

It shouldnt need to be running for 5-7 miles afterwards, unless you are in a cold climate. Then the engine may run to get the heater warm to raise the battery temperature

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when you are moving along just hit the EV mode button, and it will go back to EV mode straight away.

It shouldnt need to be running for 5-7 miles afterwards, unless you are in a cold climate. Then the engine may run to get the heater warm to raise the battery temperature
DibbyDibbyDJ:

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. I will give this a try, although I try to hit EV as soon as I start the automobile. But sometimes I miss it. In any case, I hope this works for us. And Yes, I have seen that the gas engine operates when it is very cold and the car has been sitting for a while. I get that when the battery is cold
it cannot pass as much energy as when it is warm. Yesterday we had been driving for a couple of miles without any issues, and when I had to accelerate, the car went into gasoline mode, and didn't quit till I turned the engine off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts