Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 2022 Outlander awd SE and love it. I installed the curt receiver hitch but am looking for the wire harness for trailer lights. I know curt makes one but it requires cutting and splicing. My question is that I see two different OEM Mitsubishi ones but am not sure which one to get and what the difference is. Also, is this just a nice plug and play and if so where does it hook up? These are the two:

and:

Or do I need both? Thanks for the help guys, this thing is a great vehicle.

· Registered
5 Posts
You only need one. It is the MZ315143. It is almost plug and play. I installed on on my mom's car it runs off the driver side taillight harness. When I get a chance I will put up pics. I was looking for info like you on how to install but didn't find anything either.

· Registered
5 Posts
Okay, so finally got a moment to post.

First here is a picture of the Mitsubishi PN for the tow harness I had.
Font Material property Gas Road surface Asphalt

The install is not difficult. You will need to remove the Styrofoam trays and tools from under the floor in the rear cargo area, the seatbelt mount bolt on driverside,and two interior panels (center and driverside lower rear interior panels) to access the harness and mount locations. Panels to remove are circled.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

The tow harness plugs in to /T's into the harness be tween the driverside rear taillight body harness and the driverside tail light, and a power connector hidden behind a driver side interior panel. The is also a ground connection made a a common groun location shown in pics below.

Connector is behind panel here. Need to look up in this direction/area.
Watch Automotive design Air gun Gesture Finger

Connector after tape holding it to harness is cut.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread

harness for tail light. After remove trim hiding tail light bolts using tape trick to remove driver side tail light and remove grommet to expose taillight harness connector.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Ground location to be used shown in this pic

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Trunk

I will continue install instructions in my next post.

· Registered
5 Posts
Next, connect harness to taillight and body side taillight, ground and power connector and route tow harnesses up until the canbus decoder box and mount in the location shown below using supplied double sided mount tape, zip ties ,and zip tie anchors( included)

Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Now for routing the flat 4 through the body to the tow hitch you have 2 options.

If you can find a grommet for this already existing hole, the swap grommets on the final flat 4 section of the tow harness and back feed through the hole. No drilling required.
Automotive design Auto part Machine Metal Fashion accessory

If you not. Drill a hole 38mm hole with a metal cutting hole saw. In the general location of the blue mark above.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Hand Hood Automotive tire Safety glove Automotive design

Feed harness through hole and you are basically done up top. (I used rtv sealant around the grommet to ensure it seals)
Grey Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Comes out the body behind the bumper just below the driver side rear wheel shown below.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Below are. Pictures of cable management
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

· Registered
5 Posts
Now for underneath, I routed the flat 4 as shown below and mounted using the provided. Plastic flat 4 plug holder.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Automotive design

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Automotive design

After that you should be done. Test the harness if you have a tester. Reinstall light and all panels to finish up.

I hope this helps a lot of people as my mom was getting the run around and I couldn't find anything about this since the vehicle is so new.

For some reason no dealer wanted to do this at a reasonable price and wanted to charge several hours of work.

Anyway enjoy!

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for this post. I will start my installation this weekend. Already installed the hitch, just need to do the wiring now. im installing this on the 2023 PHEV. I believe its the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts