Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used 2013 outlander in the spring as a new project of sorts. I've not yet been able to drive it. I bought it off a private owner who said that it was having transmission issues. I want to describe these issues to see if anyone can assist. The car does not leave first gear. Give it any gas and its like it will explode due to the rpms being so high. Its a 2013 outlander sport 4wd ES. I'm in process of changing out the transmission speed sensors. Have replaced and cleaned filter and j4 transmission fluid. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear about your transmission issues, Mitsubishi is known for them.

Have you checked the shift solenoid? I heard that could be one of the culprits. Are you doing this work yourself or paying a mechanic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing work myself and its starting to cost way too much. Currently been changing the transmission speed sensors both input and output. Hoping to get out of first gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its the 2.4 I have heard that the speed sensors would be the issue and my code reader had an error code that it was the speed sensor. It runs well, it just simply will not shift gears, it is stuck in first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That vehicle doesnt have gears, it has a CVT, constant variable transmission. If you accelerate normally do you get up to normal speeds?

What were your fault codes?
Were they P0868 or P0776?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are in the process of purchasing them. Locally the Mitsubishi store wanted over 599 dollars but we can purchase online for 60. However we hav to wait 3 weeks for them to arrive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still has first gear second gear 3rd gear 4th gear...... or has that term changed? I'm aware its a cvt. But as I said it doesn't shift at all. I can't go over 25 mph without the rpms being in the red.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im confused? you say it has 1st 2nd 3rd and fourth, but say it doesnt shift?

CVT dont shift its a smooth linear increase in speed, They dont shift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im confused? you say it has 1st 2nd 3rd and fourth, but say it doesnt shift?

CVT dont shift its a smooth linear increase in speed, They dont shift.
I guess OP is sort of new to these transmission setups. That's fine I guess. But it sure does sound like the speed sensor is gone. Unless some other sensor also causes this issue.

@Stevencochran are you in the process of getting that speed sensor changed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts