Mitsubishi Outlander Forum banner

Trip planning, best way to maximise fuel economy

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  mpprice25 
#1 ·
Hey all, so we are heading on small road trip, roughly 230km one way next week. Seems to be mostly highway, with some towns sprinkled in there. I am still trying to learn the ropes of this vehicle, but from my understanding, should I be running in "save" mode to keep charge for the non-highway portions? Also, we will have our dog with us, so we will to make some stops, I can probably hit a couple of chademo chargers. How would you factor that in to your planning?

Or am I overthinking all this :D

#3 ·
yes, on SAVE mode at higher speed on highway, then EV or NORMAL when going Slowly ( 70 km/h or less) for town an cities. However, I would probably not go in CHARGE mode nor would I pay for any charge level 2 or level 3 (CHADEMO) for your distance, roughly 460 km back and forth.

I would stay on SAVE mode long enough, then estimate my battery usage to make sure that it is mostly all used by the time I get home, where you charge it. That’s the cheapest place to plug-in the PHEV and the car doesn’t use more gas to charge the battery on the run. Depending on your ride, you should finish with a very acceptable fuel consumption and a cheap electric charge.

#5 ·
Just came back from 270 klm round trip where we were able to full charge both directions. Previous times used save function this time tried running battery down on highway travelling at 110 km per hour as an experiment. Got about 65 km of charge On highway then ran hybrid the rest of way. Ended up with about 2.8-3.2 litres per 100 kms. Very good. The battery would recharge and car would go back to electric for a few kms at a time. Then back into parallel hybrid or Sometimes series. What was interesting was going down hills it would coast and/or regenerate Depending on length of decline. During stop and go traffic would default to electric. Used adaptive cruise and mi pilot assist throughout trip.

#7 ·
IME save mode does the same thing on the highway. Charges to when you set it then runs in EV, charges, runs in parallel, sometimes series if need more power, then EV, then charges, ICE runs in parallel, and so on. The only difference is that when I get off the highway there will be charge left in the battery if needed for more urban/stop n' go driving.

#9 ·
Interesting question, good to hear some of the suggestions/opinions. I have a similar question since my wife will be taking the car on a 2000 mile round trip journey next month. The drive will be mostly on freeway 65-70 mph no real town driving until she reaches her destination. I think basic hybrid mode or save would give about the same result. I am pretty sure this trip will expose the biggest weakness of this car--its fuel economy when running on gas/hybrid. When running in parallel at freeway speeds the rpm's are way to high (about 3600) to get good fuel economy. Maybe a different gear on the one speed tranny would be better? Luckily this is likely the only trip over 50 miles we will make this year, so a PHEV saves a lot of gas over time.

#19 ·
we just did a 2000 mile trip to Omaha on fairly flat (not mountainous) highway (65 mph avg) roads. Wondered if mpg reading was broke because it read 27 out there and back. Mostly in SAVE mode.

drove around town a bit after charging and the reading went up to 28, but settled to 27 the whole way home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.